Tuesday, July 8, 2008

John O'Dell - Down and Out....

I truly enjoy every aspect of whitetail deer hunting and that normally means that this time of year I would be hanging stands, planting food plots, and shooting my PSE XForce in 3D tournaments or at our local archery club. This year however I ran into a snafu. I also enjoy playing softball during the summer.

That said I was playing softball for our company coed softball team at JCrew. It was late in the second game of a double header and I was playing left center field. I went to plant my foot like I have done thousands of times before to charge a fly ball and that’s when it happened. I heard a loud “POP” and my left foot literally collapsed and I hit the ground. Being the competitive person that I am I wanted to go after the ball but I quickly ascertained that I could not move my left foot at all. It was just dangling and I felt a sharp pain in the back of my ankle. Ugh! So after being carried off the field by my team mates; I took the golf cart ride to a friend’s car and went directly to the emergency room. It was later determined that I tore my achilles tendon. Then I had to have surgery to reattach the tendon. Believe me that it is as painful as it sounds!!

From what I understand I am on a long path to recovery. My days consist of trying to figure out how to do everyday activities like shower and go to work with crutches or by hoping on one leg! I plan to be diligent with my physical therapy so that I am prepared for my first hunt with long time filming partner Dave Resiner this fall. It will be four to six weeks before I can begin rehab so I guess I will have to get used to my crutches for now. One thing is for certain that I will be shooting early and often with my PSE once I can stand on both feet again.

6 comments:

Tommy Nunley said...

Best of luck with your recovery!

Carl Redding said...

O man sounds like severe pain, Get well soon, you guys are at the top of my must see list every season. You always get the job done in the field... Blessings

DV said...

Good luck with the recovery.

Unknown said...

Get well soon man, You and Reisner are exciting to watch and always get it done.

Jeff Mayne said...

Looks like Jared and I will have to take over your hunting spot across from the Wapsi State Park in Anamosa... Looks like a great spot, we hunt right up the road on an ajoining property. Get lots of rest, take it easy on recovery and if Dave ever needs a camera man give me a call.

Brad said...

Hi John, I've seen you on many episodes of Drury Outdoors and enjoy your hunting videos! I'm 37 yrs. old and live in NE Michigan. I'm an avid bow, rifle & muzzleloader hunter and have been gearing up already this summer with my 9 yr. old son on the archery range. Two summers ago while playing softball in the final inning of the game I rounded 1st base trying to stretch a single into a double. After rounding the bag I pumped hard to get to 2nd and SNAP...I thought someone hit me in the back of the leg with a bat! I actually hobbled to 2nd base and was safe, however, like you said, my foot just dangled there and I was in shock when the reality of what happened set in. My achilles was snapped, and I could not lift my heal to walk. What a scarry feeling man! The next day I was in surgery, then in a cast for 8 weeks. This happended on June 9th and I ended up getting the cast off on August 7th. Most of my pain was working to stretch the achilles back out, but just about 2 weeks later I walked into the woods to check some treestands. It was pretty emotional for me, as I feared I wouldn't be able to walk normal, or climb stick ladders again. I took it easy, but in no time I was "back". That season I harvested my biggest buck ever at our family camp in Tawas, Michigan. That head mount had a huge meaning, and not just from the hunt that year!

You'll be ok man. It just takes a little time and stretching it back out when it's healed. If your surgeon was anything like mine, your achilles will be "stronger than God made it".(a funny statement mine made, but pretty true I believe now!) You have some good friends that can help with your hunting prep and that, but just be thankful you'll be back again too!

If you need a great product to help with showering, swimming etc.. go to www.drycast.com. They have latex cast covers that are durable and seal water tight to give you a bit of freedom back. I bought two of them and it really helped me keep my sanity thru the summer.

All the best to you in your healing and I look forward to seeing you in the stand again one day...probably with an added appreciation for what we love so much!

Brad DeWyse
East Tawas, MI