Sunday, June 1, 2008

John O'Dell - Things to do in the off season..


Beyond my passion for hunting I really enjoy fishing as well. I feel fortunate in that both of my children Madison (10) and Jacob (7) have inherited my love of the outdoors and they both especially enjoy going fishing with dad. That said one of our favorite places to go fishing together is on Fort Myers Beach, FL.

My mother and father in-law have a condo right on the beach where the Gulf of Mexico flows through Big Carlos Pass into Estero Bay. The incoming and outgoing tides make cuts in the beach and the bait fish white bait follow the cuts in and out of the bay to and from the ocean with the tides. This creates some incredible inshore fishing opportunities for a real mixed bag.

During our most recent trip down to the Sunshine State my kids caught many different varieties of fish including the inshore slam of Snook, Trout, and Redfish and the trashcan slam of Ladyfish, Catfish, and Jacks. Our best day we caught over 50 fish on live bait and artificial lures.

My daughter Madison has become quite the fisherwoman and I am pretty sure that she out fished everyone on the beach during the time that we were there including her dad. It is a feeling that is difficult to describe when I see the excitement in my childrens' eyes as they are playing tug of war with a big fish. It is fast becoming a family tradition to make trips down to the Sunshine State to do spend quality time as a family and when we are lucky to catch lots of fish. My daughter says that fishing is ok but catching is way more fun! I have to agree with my 10 year old on that one! Enjoy some photos of Madison and Jacob and their big catch!

No comments: